TREASURE STOCKING: Is There A Better Way?

 

A classic example of interesting treasure

Quick note: I'm not even sure I am happy with the below solution, but at least I get my thoughts out there.

SO WHAT IS TREASURE GOOD FOR IN D&D? The explicit metapurpose is to gain XP to level up. But treasure also serves purposes of worldbuilding, plot movement, antagonism (e.g. cursed weapons), and provides broad tools to help the PCs plunge deeper into the dungeon. Helpful when characters are randomly determined.

I think that "good" treasure placement in a dungeon is achieved when all tthe above points are satisfied when looking at the whole level. By ensuring that the treasure placed in the dungeon serves multiple play and character functions, I think we maintain momentum within the classic playstyle on a per session basis.

Why is this "momentum" important? Because unlike the 1970's of D&D's development, we now live in a world with more time constraints and increased entertainment competition. D&D was developed in an environment where Gygax and Arneson were playing weekly games lasting between 8-12 hours as reported in Game Wizards, Playing At The World, and The Secrets of Blackmoor. At best I am able to pull a weekly 2-4 hour session, maybe an additioal twice monthly game.

Also, in the grand scheme of things I as a DM want to bring aspects of higher level play "down" into the lower levels. Interacting the the fantastical should not have to wait until 5th or 6th level. First level play should also astound in the same manner even if you only have 3 hp. And in truth, most players don't have that sort of real-life time.

Intersting treasure serves both purposes it allows for steady character progression while also providing resources for the party to (hopefuly) take educated risk in the setting be it exploration or "social".

So what specifically is a "good" treasure spread? And I am trying to arrive at something similar to the overloaded encounter die or dungeon checklist of treasure. This is to say both a way of ascertaining if a dungeon level has good treasure and a easy procedure by which to generate it.

LEVEL 1 TREASURE

While I don't think we need to go level by level to illistrate the point, here is what I think is good treasure in a level 1 dungeon:

  • Provide enough GP for a party of 4 fighters to advance to level 2 if all treasure is found
  • 50% of the treasure should serve other purposes (notable art, notorious signet ring)
  • At least 2 spells the MU does not currently have in their spellbook
  • 3 potions that overcome dungeon obstacles
  • Magic damage that is 1-shot or disposable (silver arrows or +1 sling pellets)
So how can I place this treasure easily? Right now the method of dungeon generation is to place the important treasure, monsters, and/or factions first then randomly stock using this classic table:

Roll 1d6 for contents & treasure for each room
1,2 | Monster    (3:6 treasure)
3    | Trap          (2:6 treasure)
4,5 | Empty       (1:6 treasure "hidden")
6    | Special      (no treasure)

If the room contains a monster then you use the treasure type found in its entry, otherwise there is a second treasure table that is for non-monster guarded loot:

For each non-monster guarded treasure
  • 1d6 x 100 SP
  • 1d6 x 10 GP (50%)
  • 1d6 gems (5%)
  • 1d6  pieces of jewlery (2%)
  • Magic item (2%)
This is okay, but I feel it runs the risk of making a dungeon anemic in terms of both treasure and items which can help overcome dungeon obsticles. And I can't stand the monster treasure tables. I almost just think it makes more sense to write some average treasure haul in each entry like HP.

MY POSSIBLE SOLUTION

After placing important noteworthy treasure, monsters, and obsticles, I propose the following:

First: I want to ensure that all the treasure on X level can advance the characters to the next level if they find most of it. To calculate this, I just use the XP progression for a fighter. For four fighters moving from level 1 to level 2 that is 8000 GP in total treasure.

Second: by BX standards, treasure comes as coin, gems, jewelry, scrolls, potions, & a wide variety of magic items (which is inversly related to how often randomly rolling will bring them into play). Since I want to test all of this out, I am just going with the bog-standard BX stuff and see if I can put a few intresting twists on them. Here is also a fantastic way to spice treasures up using spark tables!

Third: I want to give each of those catagories a context by pariring them with room contents. So, only certain treasure will be found in the context of certain rooms instead of it being anything.

For instance, I think a trap in a lst level dungeon is going to be guarding jewlery or magic because no one would trap something they are going to access frquently like loose coin-- you use guards instead. Also traps allow the thing to be visable because it could serve a symbolic purpose, but protected. So, the jewlery could be a crown or septor with some significance in the region. If magic, maybe this is a one-use javlin of lightinging forged to kill a demon but only in a "In Case of Emergency, Break Glass" way. Or maybe it is a small stash of healing potions that only clerics can touch.

Fourth: I want the specific treasure to be as easy to generate as the the Room Contents x Treasure table above. I really hate  rolling a monster then 6 different percentages of its treasure type then rolling on a sub table. If its a lair, fine, but rarely is that the case. And really if it is a lair, its contents should be more intentionally placed. And I want the treasure table to change between level 1-4 "hero" & 5-8 "super hero".

Here is my combination table:

LEVEL 1-4 ROOM STOCKING: Roll 1d6 for contents, treasure, & treasure type for each room
1,2 | Monster    (3:6 treasure)                   Coin (1-3) || Gem/Jewelry (4-6) 
3    | Trap          (2:6 treasure)                   Gem/Jewelry (1-4) || Magic Item (5-6)
4,5 | Empty       (1:6 treasure "hidden")   Gem/Jewelry (1-2) || Scroll (3-4) || Potion (5-6)
6    | Special      (no treasure)                    The room itself is a treasure in some fashion (e.g. alter)


Once again I find myself writing a lot of words for what is essentially a small table. I dunno if this had solved my "problem" but at least I feel like I've aired my thoughts.


2 comments:

  1. So I love this table, and I've been working on a similar problem for awhile. So my big question here is: HOW MUCH TREASURE?? So if I roll a 1 (monster) and a 3 (treasure) and a 2 (Coin) -- how much coin??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My default is to start handing out treasure in 500 gp units. If it feels off, then make it an object like a ring or box of snuff. If that feels off, maybe use a offer reaction roll for each object they try to sell and increase/decrease the value accordingly.

      I just really find that outside of 100 GP units, its really not worth messing with. And I find that in delving in Nightwick, we either pull out a big haul or get end up with effectively 0.

      Delete