REAPERCON2023 MICROBLOGGING: WED


Attending REAPERCON 2023; since the dissolution of PAX South, this and NTRPGCON are my nearest gatherings of nerdom. Here are just some quick thoughts:

  • While being part of the spectacle of is its own fun, I do think small cons are where it at. REAPERCON focuses a big part on miniature painting in addition to a pretty good stable of games

  • The hotel bar staff is pumped as they all have gotten into the ribbon getting and have produced 9 specialty cocktails for the event (will try to post those)-- a lot of thought has gone into them

  • A big thing about REAPERCON is the getting of badge ribbons. You can even get a ribbon for accidentally dipping your ribbon line in the toilet or if it touches the ground you get "DRAGON DIRT"
    • I found a tiny duck hidden in the con and got the WHAT THE DUCK! ribbon
    • Also quoted The Princess Bride to get another ribbon
    • Pick a free set of dice for DICE FROM DANI
    • HIGH LEVEL from playing some classic arcade cabinets they have here
    • I've brought two ribbons for players in my games and one that's just MOLDVAY BASIC: 1981- gotta rep my fav ruleset.

  • Also chatted with some of the pro painters
    • One does just basic techniques with basic Reaper models in online classes which is cool and he his dad was into Nepolionics.
    • The woman that I spoke with got into painting because she found her then-boyfriend-now-husband's box of old D&D stuff in the attic of his mom's house; she remarked on the very panicked look on his face initially; she's always loved small things and so got into painting
  • Met a Swedish guy at the bar who was fascinated by all the goings on and thought a very good documentary could be made about it
"REAPERCON Necktie"


3 comments:

  1. FUCK I should have posted about Gen Con when I was there, but it was too much to bother. Might do that at U-Con later this year. Anyway, small cons are great and this sounds like an excellent one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I clearly failed as well in my attempts to blog everyday. I should have taken a ~30 min each day to jot down notes. But yes, small cons are great Reaper Con seems well run and close to me vs. DragonCon

      Delete
    2. Well, at least you tried! I'll see how well I fare with my plan on blogging about U-Con!

      Delete